To avoid a penalty, most Coloradans will need to have health insurance coverage beginning in 2014. Your health insurance coverage must provide minimum essential coverage. If you are covered by any of the following types of insurance in 2014, you satisfy the individual responsibility mandate to have health insurance and will not have to pay a penalty:
- Health First Colorado (Colorado’s Medicaid Program)
- Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+)
- Any plan purchased through the Connect for Health Colorado marketplace, or any individual insurance plan you already have.
- Any employer plan, including COBRA, with or without “grandfathered” status. This includes retiree plans.
- TRICARE (for current service members and military retirees, their families, and survivors)
- Veterans health care programs (including the Veterans Health Care Program, VA Civilian Health and Medical Program (CHAMPVA), and Spina Bifida Health Care Benefits Program)
- Peace Corps Volunteer plans
Other plans may also qualify. Ask your health insurance provider.